July 30th update

10:30 a.m. Bennett has cleared the methotrexate. His level was .06 this morning. This means no more leucovorin and they have changed the rate of his fluids from 320 to 133 so we are done with methotrexate levels. Bennett received morphine every 2 hours last night, this made him itch so they gave him benadryl. He didn’t sleep well during the night because of all of this. This morning they decided to give him a morphine drip. Because he is on continuous morphine, he is hooked up to a machine that keeps track of his heart rate and oxygen level. It’s the same machine he’s on during his spinal taps/bone marrows.   They have started him on Nubain (another allergy med to keep him from itching) plus he has to take constipation medicine because constipation is another side effect of being on morphine. Now, that he is on morphine, he is rating his pain a 6. I got a chance to look at his mouth when the nurse practitioner checked him this morning.  It looks really bad and gross. He has a severe case.   

5:30 p.m. Alot has happened in the last 30 minutes. The nurse started Bennett on TPN which is 2 iv bags which will run over 24 hours, one has fats and the other has vitamins. They are concerned because he hasn’t ate/drank and with the mouth sores so bad that it will probably be awhile before he does. They weighed him and he weighs 113. This is a different scale than last Tuesday when he weighed 120 but it’s still 7 pounds. They started him on another mouth wash, this is swish and spit of chloride and bicarb and he still doing the magic wash. He also has a temp of 101.1, not good. As the nurse left after all of this, Bennett made a sign with his hands and I guessed “house”. He pointed to himself. I asked are you ready to go home and he nodded yes. I told him he had to start drinking/eating or their not going to let you go home. He said he would take some sprite, he has taken couple sips. He tried a grape and it really tasted funny and he spit out the skin.  He has now turned the TV on, this is the first time all day that he has been awake longer than couple of minutes. 

6:50 p.m. Bennett’s temp is 101.2. They have done a blood test to see why he has a fever. Please pray for good results from this test. He’s back to sleep and has shut off the TV.

8:30 p.m. Bennett’s temp is 101.1. They did a CBC to check his ANC to make sure it was in a good range to fight off infection. Bennett’s ANC was 1,768 which is Great! They also are doing a blood culture which we will find out the first results tomorrow. It will take 24 hours for them to see if anything grows and than they will keep checking it every 24 hours for the next 3 days to see if it grows any bacteria. They are holding off any antibiotics until these results or if the fever goes higher. 

Thank you for everyone’s prayers, please continue to uplift our precious boy!

“In my distress I called upon the Lord; I cried unto my God for help. From his temple, he heard my voice.”
Psalm 18:6

Posted by Cindy on July 30th, 2007 in Updates | 3 Comments

3 Responses to ' July 30th update '

Subscribe to comments with RSS

  1. Mary Ann Janes said on July 30th, 2007: 6:36 pm

    Hi Bennett, I hope your meds help your mouth and your levels get in the area they should be so you can go home.

  2. Brock Britton said on July 30th, 2007: 9:15 pm

    Hey everyone, I really hope that your home very soon and all of my prayers are with you. -Brock

  3. Mark & Sherry (Mocaby) Hall said on July 31st, 2007: 8:42 am

    Hey Bennett and Cindy, We are praying that everything will be going the way it should. We hope you both will be home soon. God Bless you both.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.